The museum and the collection
Øregaard Museum opened to the public in August 1921. However, the building was constructed already in 1806-8 and used as a summer residence for the wealthy Søbøtker family from Copenhagen. Øregaard – with its surrounding park – is one of the few preserved country estates from the 1800s in the town of Hellerup. It offers a glimpse into an age when the northern surroundings of Copenhagen was farmland, and the large country estates of the wealthy urban families mixed with smallholdings and farm houses.
Øregaard Museum is home to one of Denmark’s large topographic art collections with Danish art dating from 1750 through 1950. The collection includes unknown as well as famous Danish artists including Jens Juel, C.W. Eckersberg, Martinus Rørbye, Paul Fischer, Olaf Rude, and Jais Nielsen. The collection of furniture, silver, and porcellaine covers the period from 1780-1820 around the construction of Øregaard focusing on craftmen from Copenhagen and pieces from Den kongelige Porcelainsfabrik (Royal Copenhagen).
Øregaard Museum stages two to three temporary exhibitions a year. The exhibition programme covers traditional (1800s and 1900s) as well as contemporary art. The museum has a long-standing tradition for highlighting Danish artists who were overlooked or poorly received in their time, for example Elisabeth Jerichau Baumann, Marie Krøyer, Hugo Larsen and Svend Hammershøi.
Throughout the year, the museum offers many types of events and recurring traditions for adults as well as for children. Thanks to these events, Øregaard has become a popular destination for a broader audience.
Johannes Søbøtker (1777-1854), who commissioned the construction of Øregaard, was one of the leading merchants of Copenhagen. He came from a family of planters and government officials in the Danish West Indies, but grew up in Denmark where he had a stellar career in trade and shipping. He married into a wealthy family and became one of wealthiest men in the city. The Øregaard Estate in the town of Hellerup north of Copenhagen is testimony to his wealth and lifestyle. Constructed in the years 1806-8, in the tumultuous period between greatness and demise in Denmark.